According to the National Fire Protection Association:
- An average of 1,300 church fires are reported each year, causing $38 million in property loss.
- The single most leading cause of church fires is arson (25%).
- Electrical Distribution (18%)
- Heating (12%)
Mechanical failures, which can be a result of multiple different causes follow church arson with a combined percentage of 30%. Faulty wiring and improperly functioning heating systems are often at fault, perhaps because they are in older structures and have not been brought up to local fire codes.
- Open Flames-Candles (12%)
- The remaining 33% of the fires were a result of miscellaneous events like acts of God (lightening) or other events.
- Of churches that reported fires, 65% had no smoke alarms and 96% had no sprinkler system.